Acupuncture has been shown to help those with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a condition that is far more complicated than just being tired. It does not improve with rest. Sufferers of CFS do not just deal with extreme fatigue, but with a wide range of other symptoms (see more complete list below). These can range from headaches, to flu like symptoms and chronic pain. Extreme fatigue may worsen with physical or mental activity. People with CFS can get so run down that it interferes with their lives and ability to function. and some become severely disabled and even bedridden.
Cupping has also show the the potential to relieve some symptoms of chronic fatigue. Cupping involves placing jars on the skin, suctioning out the air and creating a vacuum. The underlying tissue is raised, or sucked, partway into the cup. The purpose of cupping is to enhance circulation, remove “heat,” and pull toxins from your body’s tissue, thereby helping to relieve pain and stimulate energy.
How can you tell if you are “just tired” or you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic fatigue syndrome has eight official symptoms, plus the central symptom that gives the condition its name:
- Loss of memory or concentration
- Sore throat
- Enlarged lymph nodes in your neck or armpits
- Unexplained muscle pain
- Pain that moves from one joint to another without swelling or redness
- Headache of a new type, pattern or severity
- Unrefreshed sleep
- Extreme exhaustion lasting more than 24 hours after physical or mental exercise
It is not known exactly what causes chronic fatigue syndrome. It may be a combination of factors that affect people who were born with a predisposition for the disorder. Some of the factors that have been studied include:
- Viral infections. Because some people develop chronic fatigue syndrome after having a viral infection, researchers have wondered if some viruses might trigger the disorder. Suspicious viruses have included Epstein-Barr, human herpesvirus 6 and mouse leukemia viruses. No conclusive link has yet been found.
- Immune system problems. The immune systems of people who have chronic fatigue syndrome appear to be impaired slightly, but it’s unclear if this impairment is enough to actually cause the disorder.
- Hormonal imbalances. People who have chronic fatigue syndrome also sometimes experience abnormal blood levels of hormones produced in the hypothalamus, pituitary gland or adrenal glands. But the significance of these abnormalities is still unknown.
Or since it has not been definitely proven what causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the root cause might be something that is still to be determined.
But regardless of the exact cause, those who suffer from the condition, look for relief however they can find it. Acupuncture and Cupping has shown results for many of those who suffer.
Do you or a loved one suffer from a feeling of being tired that does not go away, regardless of how much sleep you get? And do you have other symptoms from the list above? Consider Acupuncture and Cupping and find out if you may find relief by being treated with Traditional Chinese Medicine.